how su works with no suid

ok, let me ask it a different way...

if I do an 'su - guest' it does not ask for password but just gives
'su: cannot set user id: Not owner'

in the end, i am trying to come up with an sshd version that installs as a service, uses rsa, etc...

--- here is some more detail about the problem.
I am logged into nt as my nt-domain user that has local nt-admin rights.

su and some other programs make a call to setuid or seteuid. In normal unix, the file 'su' is chmod to 4755 which is -rwsr-xr-x. There is no implementation of "set user execution bit on"

In its very simple form the program:
--------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <errno.h>

main()
{
int ret;

ret=seteuid(0);
perror("err");

}
--------
for me gives "not owner".
There is no way to "set user execution bit"
 Do you get something else, if so are you logged in as I am as above?

Before you buy.