Re: Setup versioning

At 03:02 PM 9/7/2000 -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > > Actually, clicking it launches my browser which then asks where I wish to
> > > store the program which I do.  Then quit the browser and run it.
> >
> > Hmmm... my browser asks me if I want to run it directly, which is what
> > I usually do.
>
>I'm also paranoid.  Unless I'm connecting to you via a secure route, I
>figure my AV software ought to have a go at your ".exe" before I run it.

What about an extra file on the server containing the version number?

Setup could check to see whether it's up to date or not and tell the user
to download the newer version if not. It looks like setup will contact the
cygnus server to get the mirror list anyway so maybe the check could be
done just before that step.

The drawback is that this requires some updates to the web server and a
predefined location so it's not just a matter of sending a patch. And of
course this may not be a good idea or there may be some better way of doing
something similar, I didn't spend too much time thinking about it.

Xavier