Re: i/o STOP + CONT (bash?) problem

Chris,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Chris Faylor wrote:
> Um.  CTRL-S has nothing to do with the STOP signal.

As I understand (understood :-) it, the terminal driver issues various
signals to the current process in response to predetermined input
sequences (set via stty). Thus with the "standard" stty config, ctrl-C
sends an SIGINT, ctrl-S sends SIGSTOP, etc. This gels with my practical
experience in that kill -STOP|-CONT <pid> works the same as
ctrl-S|ctrl-Q (on every unix I've worked on (linux, solaris,
cywgin-sometimes).

> So, hit CTRL-Q if you want stuff to start up again.

Oh, if it were that easy :-)

> usually invoked by hitting CTRL-Z.  This causes any running foreground
> process to be stopped and usually causes the invoking shell to issue a

I believe ctrl-Z is normally associated with SIGSUSP (suspend), which
behaves much as you have described - pausing execution of the process
(not just it's i/o).

> for this to work reliably you need to use "tty" mode, i.e., the CYGWIN
> environment variable needs to contain "tty" (without the quotes).

Tried that, without success. My (system wide) CYGWIN environment
variable is now "ntsec ntea tty", the problem still occurs as before.

What happens when you try ctrl-S/Q within bash?

--
Benjamin D Low                         bdlow@nortelnetworks.com
Nortel Networks Technology Centre      +61 2 4254 7473