Re: File names in Cygwin

Andrea Malagoli wrote:

> I am running Cygwin 1.1.4 under Win2K. In my settings I am
> noticing that file names are really case insensitive. So, for example,
>
> cat myfile.c > MyFile.C
>
> gives a warning that the two files are identical, with bad results.
>
> This is probably related with the fact that Windows itself has
> files that are effectively case insensitive.
> I was wondering if there is a workaround, because this creates problems
> when porting applications to Cygwin.
> I am using NTFS, and CYGWIN is  ntsec binary tty title

Other posix layers use that but they have a good reason to
name themselves a `subsystem'.

Sergey Okhapkin had posted a patch to use POSIX_SEMANTICS as flag
to file open calls in 1998 (97? don't know). That patch has never
made it's way into the official Cygwin sources since it's very
problematic in use. However, you can take a look into that patch:

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Okhapkin_Sergey/mixed-case.diff

It's related to an older version of Cygwin but it should give
a good insight in what to do if you decide to patch your local
version of Cygwin.

Please note, that nearly nobody could help if you encounter
problems with case sesitive file name settings!

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com