Re: Couple of nits about Cygwin

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:

> The loss of cursor has been a problem with cygwin for some time.
>
> I probably aggravated the problem when I changed console input to
> be more UNIX-like, allowing CTRL-D to terminate input, and getting
> stty commands to work.
>
> When you type a bunch of characters, the cursor disappears for a time.
> I saw this on Windows 2K under ash.  I was specifically looking for this
> because I was going to investigate a readline alternative, myself.
>
> Of course, fixing readline doesn't solve the problem for programs that
> don't use readline.  DJ's patch seemed to be the most generic fix for
> the problem.

Yep, and it seems to be working nicely. However I did notice that if
you telnet to another box (a local Linux box in my case), the cursor
problem is not completely resolved. The cursor 'sort-of' disappears
when you cursor through the command line, but it comes back almost
instantly when you take your finger off the cursor key.

I suspect this has something to do with the network latency involed
in telnetting to another machine?

Regards,

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |