RE: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on Wind ows 2000

--- "Berche, Guillaume" <Guillaume.Berche@mkms.xerox.com> wrote:
> Earnie,
>

> > Hmm... Why would one expect a DOS bat file to execute under
> > BASH???  However,
> > it is possible to start the DOS COMMAND INTERPRETER from BASH
> > by specifying it
> > so:
> >
> > #! c:/Windows/System32/cmd.exe /c
> > REM start of MSDOS test
> > PAUSE
> > REM end of MSDOS test
> >
> > However you need a noop program named #.exe that is on the
> > Windows PATH so that
> > the DOS COMMAND INTERPRETER doesn't croak on the #! line.
> >

> Well, I think that cygwin handles the launching of the BAT files by itself if
> I understand well the documentation (extract of
> C:\Cygwin\html\1_GS\int02.html follows)
>
> "File permissions
>
> On Windows 95/98 systems, files are always readable, and Cygwin uses the
> native read-only mode to determine if they are writable. Files are considered
> to be executable if the filename ends with .bat, .com or .exe, or if its
> content starts with #!. Consequently, the chmod command can only affect the
> 'w' mode, whereas it silently ignores actions involving the other modes.
> [...]
> "
>
> I assume that while making the .bat files executable, Cygwin also handles
> their execution throught the DOS command shell.

Yep.  I just tried your test and your assumption would have to be correct.  I
agree with your bug report.  Would you care to submit a patch?

> Well, the mechanism is working fine with NT 4.0 but on Windows 2000 it fails
> (or it might be related to some other configuration params I missed ?!) If
> anybody have an idea of how to correct this I am very interested!

Actually, it fails on NT4 as well.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>