ld and single object libs?

I am getting strange linker problems when using a self-written library.
The first function defined in the library isn't found by ld (unresolved
reference) but it appears in the library with a T beside when i use nm.
The libary was created the same way as all my other libraries
	ar ruv libname.a object.o ...
	ranlib libname.a
All the other libraries I have created work fine and if I link against the
object file instead, my program also links properly.  The only difference
between this library and my other libraries is that there is only one
object file while inside it. Does ld or ar or ranlib have a problem with a
library that contains only one file or am I doing something wrong?

I know this is probably my lack of understanding rather than a bug in
cygwin and therefore off-topic but I would be grateful for your help.

	Thanks
			Gareth Andrew

PS: I'm using cygwin b20 and gcc-2.95