RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me (a.exe now)

I didn't mean I had an alternative in mind, and I was not suggesting a
specific course of action. I just wanted to start some discussion to see if
some ideas were proposed.

What I said about the file tools (cp, mv, install etc.) is that if they were
able to understand that a missing "foo" file shouldn't be treated as an
error if there was a "foo.exe" file would solve the problem as for their use
in makefiles. But, it's clearly not a good idea (and I said that on my
email) because you have many drawbacks such as loss of control (this
aliasing foo = foo.exe would probably create more problems than solutions)
and performance (there would be an overhead of extra checks for missing
files situations).

Don't get me wrong: I love cygwin, and I think you guys do an amazing work.
I use it a lot at work, and it's extremely useful to me. The only purpose of
this discussion is to try to make it an even better tool, not to create
problems for no reason.

Best regards,

Andre