Mingw32 Question

Hi all,

I have been testing what I think is the latest version of Mingw32.  It
installs under a directory called GCC-2.95 and the date on many of the
files is July 31, 1999.  I have a Intel 200 Mhz computer, with Win95 (last
version with USB support).

I finally compiled a very large program that normally had a file size of
6-7 Mb (under the Absoft F77 compiler).  When I compiled under g77, the
size was less than 1 Mb...that suprised me. Next, I compared run times
inside of a DOS window that was created from within Windows, and noted that
they were about the same.  The final test was where I got a bit
confused.  I have a Tcl/Tk GUI for running this program.  Output that would
normally appear on a DOS command line is piped to a console program (got it
straight out of Brent Welch's book "Practical Programming in Tcl and TK",
page 234) that allows the run to be observed.  At this point the
performance diverged.  The g77 compiled program appeared to interact poorly
with the console.  It would eventually complete, but it really looked like
it was not supposed to be run from there.

I thought this g77 was meant for compiling programs for Windows
applications.  Did I miss something?  Was I suppose to link with some
special library?  Or am I just plain using this incorrectly?

Thanks in advance,

Mike O'Melia

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?  I'm halfway through
my fish burger and I realize, Oh my....I could be eating a slow
learner." -Anonymous

Michael J. O'Melia