Cat and Head Problems with Binary Files

I've seen a lot of discussion about cat's handling of binary files.
What I didn't see and would like to know is if the next version of
cygwin will allow me to correctly pipe or redirect the output from
cat and head if the source is a binary file?  Also, why were these
programs implemented this way to begin with?

I'm trying to pipe a binary file to a program I wrote and either
the pipe/redirect is breaking or cat/head is dying at arbitrary
points in the binary files.  I suspect that my binary files contains
what looks like an EOF.  This is similar to other threads I've seen
on this list.

Thanks,
jtr@mitre.org