RE: problem running dvips - xdvi solution

Richard,

By the way, after banging my head against the wall for quite a while, I
finally got xdvi to work. I had always suspected it had something to do with
binary vs. text but wasn't quite sure how to fix the problem.

I have always been running in text mode and noticed many programs don't work
properly. For example, to make info work, I have had to tranlate the info
files to unix (using trans -l).

I have an alias which I rarely use called setbinterm:

alias setbinterm='export CYGWIN='\''binmode tty notitle ntea'\'''

After using this alias, xdvi finally worked!! I'm sure life will be better
with the next version of cygwin (21?) in which the source has fixes for
opening files in binary mode, etc.

Kevin Wright