Perl5 vs cygwinB20

Can't compile perl, and the cygwin link to precompiled perl is broken

I tried compiling perl 5 using the latest cygwin tools B20 under win-95,
Perl 5.005_03 I got from www.perl.com,
but the sh Configure step eventually dies - it can't seem to find gcc
libraries, then it
dies 30 minutes after I gave it the path to egcs's libgcc.a file..

I also tried to download both the Perl precompiled binaries referenced on
sourceware.cygnus.com,
and the B20 cygwin32 instructions, but the FTP site refuses anonymous
logins.

Help?

Gord_Wait@spectrumsignal.com