icq api (.lib -> .dll)

I'm trying to use the icq api in a mingw32 application, and I've begun
with the following commands:

        impdef icq.dll > icq.def
        dlltool -v -k --output-lib libicq.a --dllname icq.dll -d icq.def

I editted the icq.def and added in @4 and @8 where appropriate, for the
functions that free memory. The rest of them compile and link fine without
any additions.

The problem I'm running into is that the functions work the first few
times, but before long they start causing general protection faults.

Does this suggest something is wrong with the .a file I generated?

It happens on even the simplest function, such as GetVersion, which
doesn't exactly do much -- I put it in a loop and it'll crash by the 5th
time.

This is with Win98 as the client, the actual compilation was done with an
i586-cygwin32 cross compiler on linux, made from the full cygwin-b21
distribution.

The full name of the dll is libICQMsgAPI.dll, its available from
http://www.mirabilis.com/api/ ..

- lv