cross-assembling under cygwin

I have installed cygwin2.0 on my PC. Then I tried to install
a cross-assembler running under cygwin to generate m68k code.
It did not work. I followed the following steps:

   (1) unpack binutils into the directory binutil-2.9
   (2) ./configure --target=m68k-sun-sunos4.1.1
   (3) make all-gas
   (4) make install

   Step 2 worked. Step 3 finished instantly without compiling anything.
   In Step 4, only the empty directory /usr/local was created.

   I have installed successfully a cross-assembler "gas" running on
   linux that generates m68k code.

Thanks.
Jingling