Re: Can outsiders get simple questions answered?

    Many thanks to all of you who responded.  I guess my question wasn't so simple
after all, but it's good to see the responses!  :-)  For those who are curious,
here's some background:  I originally wrote a FORTRAN program for HP-UX, which as
part of its input, would allow the user to enter something either via a barcode
reader or keyboard using the select() function.  About a year ago, I had to start
porting this program to NT.  I discovered that MS FORTRAN 4.0 is a horrible
compiler, and that the MS select() function only worked with sockets (as the cygwin
developers had discovered).  Then I discovered cygwin, which seems to be the only
way I'll solve my problem.  I was very impressed to see that the select function
works like it does on Unix.  So to cut out the rest of the details, I'm still
trying to get this functionality to work.  I discovered that in notty mode,
select() works differently from tty mode (extra <CR> required), so I need to run in
tty mode.
    Once I've had a chance to try out all the suggestions and find a way to get it
all working, I may try to write a FAQ on the subject.

Thanks again,
Dan

P.S.  Eventually I'd like to take my C routine and link it in with the rest of my
FORTRAN code, but so far my attempts have been unsuccessful.  But I'll wait to ask
specific questions until I get to that point again.