Re: Posix utils (was EGCS 1.0.2: weird include paths with gcc -b, specs, etc)

On 22 Aug 98, Paul Garceau had this to say about Re: EGCS 1.0.2:
weird include paths with gcc -b, :

> On 21 Aug 98, at 14:56, the Illustrious Mumit Khan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Fieldhouse, Dirk wrote:
> >
> > > ref: Earnie Boyd's
> > > http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Apr/0028.html
> > >
> > > I'm trying to set up a dual cygwin32/mingw32 environment with the egcs
> > > 1.0.2 cygwin32 binaries and being defeated by some strange behaviour
> > > with search paths.
> > >
> > > The binary distribution of egcs-1.0.2 for cygwin32 seems to have some
> > > hard-wired directories built into it, specifically
> > >
> > > 	../../../../../include
> > > and
> > >  	../../../../i386-cygwin32/include

[snip]

>  Mine is an i86/NT4 and has had the Posix utilities added from
> the MS NT4 Workstation Resource Kit.
>
>  This set of Posix utilities, if anyone would wish to re-build them, need
>  to be built under NTFS.  The pre-built binaries themselves
> function just fine in a FAT partition.
>
>  The source and pre-built binaries are copyright to The Regents
> of the University of California and based in part on BSD Networking
> software licensed from the University of California, Berkeley.
>
>  This set of utilities recognizes the "Cygnus unlibsubdir" as a
> valid directory reference simply because it is a fully compatible
> directory structure as far as the included Posix utilities are
> concerned.
>
>  As a suggestion, for those of you who do have problems with
> this "Cygnus unlibsubdir" who _are_ using an MS/i86 based
> platform might want to take note and see if you can get the above
> mentioned utilities for your respective operating system(s).

Excuse my ignorance, but can these tools be built for win95/98?  Or
is it another one of those NT only things?  My small brain can only
hold so much these days, so I may have to stick to linux for the
EGCS & glibc2 stuff...

If anyone's interested, I put together a goofy little web page for
the other folks in my C class with links to the cygwin32, EGCS,
ntemacs, and other free win32 tools (and some linux and other
stuff).  It's at:

http://www.rain.org/~sarnold

Comments, flames, suggestions welcome

Later, Steve

PS.  Could I get some feedback on these too?

On 19 Aug 98, Stephen L Arnold had stupid newbie questions: