Re: pointers &arrays[]

Can I suggest that you let this thread die or move it to a more
appropriate forum (comp.lang.c springs to mind)?  This has nothing to do
with the purpose of this mailing list.

Thanks.

In article <199711291235.HAA28300@p2.acadia.net>,
Scott Warner <swarnerx3@acadia.net> wrote:
>Thank you for this distinction.  It's an excellent point to remember.
>
>----------
>> From: Jean-Philippe Chancelier
><Jean-Philippe.Chancelier@cergrene.enpc.fr>
>> To: swarnerx3@acadia.net
>> Subject: Re: pointers &arrays[]
>> Date: Friday, November 28, 1997 5:07 AM

>> Hello,
>> My little contribution to array-pointers
>>
>>     Scott> 1.  Array names are equivelant to pointers in most cases
>>
>>     Yes as long as you do not try to change the adress they point to.
>>
>> 	   int *x ,y[10],j=20,z[10];
>> 	   f(x) or f(y)
>> 	   x[0] =10 ;
>> 	   y[0] = 20 ;
>>     But
>> 	   y= malloc(...);  not valid
>> 	   y= x ; not valid
>> 	   y= &j ; not valid
>> 	   y=z ;   not valid too
>> 	   so y acts like a pointer since it points somewhere
>> 	   but you can't change the adress where it points
>> 	   It's like a const pointer
>>
>> Jean-Philippe
>>
>-

http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-