This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Mr Taylor surely understands ld: a correction to my previous post
- To: root at jacob dot remcomp dot fr
- Subject: RE: Mr Taylor surely understands ld: a correction to my previous post
- From: dahms at ifk20 dot mach dot uni-karlsruhe dot de
- Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:06:52 +0100 (MET)
- CC: gnu-win32 at cygnus dot com, dahms at ifk20 dot mach dot uni-karlsruhe dot de
Hi Jacob, you wrote:
: Mr Taylor writes:
: > ...the linker is able to generate an object file
: > format which is different from the input file formats. For example,
: > this permits the linker to directly generate S-record output without
: > requiring a convertor.
What is an S-record, please?
: But WHY do we have to put the convertor and the linker in the SAME PROGRAM!!!
: In my view of things, it would be much better to have an easy to understand
: convertor to be used by systems programmers when they need S records, than
: to overload the linker with YET ANOTHER LEVEL OF COMPLEXITY!!!
In the same program, they can't get out-of-sync, when it's updated.
And nowadays, only the needed stuff is paged in.
Bye, Heribert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For help on using this list, send a message to
"email@example.com" with one line of text: "help".