Re: 64-bit xfree86 failing?

working again.

my mistake was in years of using

startx -- -multiwindow -clipboard &

because /usr/bin/startx no longer starts x

Once I switched to

xinit -- -multiwindow -clipboard &

I was fine.

Remember that startx doesn't startx, on either 32- or 64-bit cygwin (I did a fresh 32-bit install and checked) and you're good to go. You'll still get complaints like

XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1

but at least you'll have a working xterm to type about them in.

cheers

L.