Re: 64-bit xfree86 failing

On 12/1/2014 8:35 AM, Tim Kingman wrote:
I see the same issue, and it looks like this is because I have an
empty (commented-out) ~/.startxwinrc

Removing this file causes X to open and start an xterm, probably
because it broke several of the new rules in
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2014-11/msg00029.html :
* User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the final
command therein must be run in the foreground, and that command's
exiting will end the X session, just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc
or ~/.Xclients.

This causes another problem for me because my .bashrc calls startxwin
to make sure I always have an X server running ( per
http://stackoverflow.com/a/9301966 ), and then I get caught in a loop
of launching new X servers infinitely (probably from startxwin now
finding a new DISPLAY, and if I specify both :0 and -silent-dup-error,
XWin still writes an error to the console that display 0 is already
active, and displays a Windows dialog with an error about not being
able to move XWin.0.log to XWin.0.log.old ).

I'll keep playing with this to see if I can come up with a solution to
duplicate my previous behavior: Any new bash shell makes sure that X
is running, with no X apps running, and only one X is running, and new
shells don't pop up any "display already exists" errors.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

Are you opposed to having the X Server start when you log into the Windows machine?
This is what I do and it works well. The X server is always running when I need it.

I created a desktop shortcut with the following command:

C:\Apps\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -emulate3buttons 100 -multiwindow -clipboard -swcursor"

and then just place that shortcut in the "programs -> startup" start menu folder.