Re: XWin on taskbar

On 7/31/2012 10:16 PM, Ross Boulet wrote:
I have a desktop running Windows 7 Professional and a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have updated Cygwin on both to make sure everything is current. I start X on both the same way using the shortcut installed by Cygwin. On both machines, I have a .startxwinrc that starts two rxvt windows. The difference is, on the desktop, items appear in the Windows taskbar for the two rxvt windows only - as I expect. But on the laptop, another taskbar item for the XWin server appears.

It's not a huge deal, but it adds a little clutter to the taskbar I would rather not see. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

I am not sure the reason is known; a race condition has been mentioned as a possibility. I solved this by using xlaunch, and starting that with cygwin's "run" program.

Regards -- Eliot Moss