Re: Why does nedit complain about these missing fonts?

On Sun, May 20, 2012, at 14:19, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2012-05-20 05:07, Ronald Fischer wrote:
> > The question remains, why nedit looks at *those* fonts. I'm perfectly
> > happy to specify in the preferences of nedit only those fonts which are
> > actually installed with Xming. However, nedit seems to look at certain
> > fonts, which I certainly have not mentioned in my preferences....
>
> Fonts are also required for rendering the interface (menus and dialog
> boxes).

True, but this does not apply here (I think), because I when I instruct
nedit to
use specific fonts (those which are installed on my system) for the
interface,
nedit indeed uses these fonts, but still displays the error message.

Meanwhile I found something in the Cygwin/X FAQs about this problem (I
had
overlooked it the first time): This seems to be a well known problem
with some
X applications, and it was recommended to install certain adobe fonts
via Cygwin
setup.

So I run setup again to install the required fonts, and also (via xset)
did a refresh
of the font path. The problem still persisted. Looking at the installed
fonts, I found
my fonts being present only in /usr/share/fonts/100dpi and
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi
as a bunch of gz-files. I'm not sure whether this is correct (i.e.
whether the X server
is supposed to unpack them on demand), or whether the Cygwin setup
script is
supposed to do this. I think it is the latter, because when I did a

  xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts

I got the error message

xset:  bad font path element (#90), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

Could it be that part of the installation is missing on the Cygwin side?
In a correct installation,
where are these fonts supposed to be stored?

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronaldf@eml.cc>
+  If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,