Re: X server crash when running texworks

On 2012-04-02 16:14, Ken Brown wrote:
Much earlier in the thread I mentioned a warning "QFileSystemWatcher:
failed to add paths: /home/kbrown". I've looked at the QtCore sources,
and that warning is generated by the function
QFileSystemWatcher::addPaths, in corelib/io/qfilesystemwatcher.cpp. If
I'm understanding the code correctly, that function tries to use a
"native" (system-specific) FileSystemWatcherEngine if possible. The
function QFileSystemWatcherPrivate::createNativeEngine in the same file
creates native engines on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Symbian,
but not on Cygwin.

Correct, as the Windows backend won't work OOTB with *NIX filesystem, and we don't support any of the other native backends.

I don't know if it's worth pursuing this, but the failure of
FileSystemWatcher could conceivably be the problem here. Do you know
enough about Qt to have any ideas about how to proceed? Or Yaakov?

The only plausible solutions would be to either:

* implement inotify[1] in Cygwin on top of Windows' Directory Change Notification APIs[2] (which would benefit a number of packages);

* OR implement a FAM/Gamin-based QFileSystemWatcher backend.

Yaakov

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/inotify.7.html
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365261%28v=vs.85%29.aspx