Re: A question about program icons ...

On 7/29/2011 3:16 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
Hi Eliot,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
Recently I started using startxwin and .XWinrc and am
getting used to -multiwindow mode.  Something I have been
wondering is where the program icons actually come from.
For example, I cannot for the life of me find the icons
used for xemacs (has a little red XE in it) or xpdf
(black background, stylized red X and stylized white pdf).

Right-click, Properties, Change Icon... will bring up a dialog which allows you to change the source of the icon, with the current source filled in.

Dear Csaba -- I appreciate your effort to be helpful. In this case I already know how to change an icon that is directly associated with a program file or shortcut. However, these programs do not seem to have an icon associated in the usual way, and even their normal icon is not what cygwin-xfree displays in the toolbar. For example, xemacs from the Windows dialog does not show any icon or offer a way to set one. The shortcut to it that is in the Cygwin X menu does associate an icon and allow you to change it, but the icon that is in the toolbar is not one of the ones offered. The startxwin/.XWinrc mechanisms are looking somewhere else, and I was asking where that is. Even the default files that build the menus and such do not mention the xemacs and xpdf icons that I actually see ...

Regards -- Eliot