Re: X server segfault problem

On 02/01/2011 01:11, chm wrote:
> I'm having a problem with cygwin 1.7.7
> and X version 1.9.3.0 where an OpenGL
> application from perl using the Mesa3D
> binding dies in the test with a segfault:

X related questions belong on the cygwin-xfree list.

>   A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X
>   will now exit.
>
>   Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault).
>   Server aborting.
>
>   Please open /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
>   for more information.
>
> When I close the popup alert, X exits.
> The XWin.0.log only has Segmentation
> fault at address 0xe.
>
> I've been unable to determine if the
> problem is in the perl OpenGL module
> code or in the updated X+GLX+Mesa3D.

Even incorrectly written X clients shouldn't make the X server crash, so if
the X server crashes, it is an X server problem.

> To reproduce, just download the perl
> OpenGL module source:
>
>   http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/C/CH/CHM/OpenGL-0.64.tar.gz
>
> and extract the directory.  cd to the
> OpenGL-0.64 directory and run the following
> command:
>
>   ( set -x ; perl Makefile.PL ; make ; make test ) 2>&1 | tee
> ../pogl-x-crash-log.txt
>
> which should configure, build and run the test
> for this module.  You will need to have gcc,
> perl and opengl installed in your cygwin.
>
> Any help appreciated since I can no longer
> develop on cygwin since the X server started
> crashing...not even to fix the problem (if
> it is the OpenGL module code).

This kind of implies it used to work, but doesn't tell me which version it
worked with.

Anyhow, I've just fixed an OpenGL related problem which looks similar to this,
perhaps you could try the snapshot in [1] and see if that helps.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-01/msg00001.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer