Path problem with xterm

If I open a bash terminal in cygwin, then I create an xterm (either by
running startxwin.bat or by running the relevant lines from it manually)
then I type "set", my environment settings get listed.  Among them is my
current PATH variable.  However, the displayed path is not the same as the
path I had previously (in the bash terminal).  Basically, it's the same path
but with some extra entries added (most of these being duplicates of entries
that were already present).

Cygwin's 'startxwin.bat' does introduce some extra entries - but even if
I comment them out I still end up with unwanted entries that look like they
must either be getting added by Xwin or xterm.  Can anyone suggest where
they might be coming from, so I can see if I can get rid of them?

Thanks,

John