Re: Page Up and Page Down

[whoops, forgot to CC: this to the list]

On 9/16/05, Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > On my Linux box at home, I believe xterm always produces ^[[5~ and
> > ^[[6~
>
> It sounds like your Linux system is running Redhat.  I get lots of
> complaints about that (for instance earlier today ;-). For quite a while
> (I'm told it was corrected in Fedora) their package for xterm alters most
> of the key translations, lobotomizing it to look like someone's
> improvement to old xterm.

Actually, I use Debian, so who knows how up-to-date the program is ;-)
 Most of the time, I actually use aterm at home (i like
semi-transparent windows), which produces ^[[5~ and ^[[6~ in the
middle extended section, but  ^[Oy and ^[Os for numberpad PgUp/PgDn.
rxvt on my Linux box behaves the same as aterm.

Curiously, while PuTTYcyg always produces ^[[5~ and ^[[6~ on the
command line, it produces ^[Oy and ^[Os on the number pad when I go
into using vim.  I suppose that's from initializing the terminal into
a different mode?  Well, that's not one of your guys' programs, so I'm
not sure if it's designed to work that way or what..

Heh, I finally came across your xterm FAQ
[http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html] in searching for how to
set up X resources to change this, and I'll probably try adding lines
like

               <Key>Prior: string(0x1b) string("[5~") \n\
               <Key>Next: string(0x1b) string("[6~") \n\
               <Key>KP_3: string(0x1b) string("Os") \n\
               <Key>KP_9: string(0x1b) string("Oy") \n

...when I get back to work on Monday

That's probably all I needed, but I've had a heck of a time searching
with Google about this topic since typing "^[[5~" in the search box
only searches on "5".  *sigh*

--
[ Michael Hicks | mikemn@gmail.com ]