Re: TrueType problem + question

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>
> > Other programs (like xterm, gvim and other gtk2 based programs)
> > use client side fonts which are named with the true font name.
> >

> > In xterm:
> > xterm -fn -microsoft-tahoma-bold-r-normal--24-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
> > xterm -fa "Tahoma 24" -fs 24
> >                 ^^^ This disables wide paddings.
> > @Thomas: Do you know what is causing this?
>
> I'm not sure what "wide paddings" refers to.

with -fa "Tahoma" it looks like
a g o @ l i s z t   / u s r / b i n
$

each character takes about twice the space, but the second half is just blank.
I noticed  this behaviour with "Bitstream Vera Sans" but not with "Bitstream
Vera Sans Mono" on Debian Sarge and on cygwin.

> A  quick check on my Debian machine shows I can run
>
> xterm -fa "Tahoma 24" -fs 24
> xterm -fa "Tahoma" -fs 24
>
> with the same effect.  Perhaps the Xft library is ignoring the part after
> the space.

Xft tries an exact match and with "Tahoma 24" it fails and uses the default
font instead.

bye
	ago
--