changing monitors dynamically confuses Xwin

Dear Cygwin/Xwin maintainers:

First let me say that I am running Cygwin/XFree 6.8.1.0-9 on a Windows XP
box. I start X with the default parameters (plus -clipboard).

Here's what I want to do, and what happens:

-- Want to: Use the XP Display Properties > Settings menu to add. on the
   fly, a second display, namely a video projector. I "Extend the Windows
   Desktop" to this projector for displaying PowerPoint slides. I want X to
   stay the way it was, in an XP window that covers the whole laptop LCD
   screen, but not displaying on the video projector.

-- What happens: When I do this, after the display configuration change,
   the X window contents no longer display, though the cursors show and
   input appears to be active. XP things work as expected, and I can move
   the cursor from one screen to another, etc. PowerPoint does the right
   thin, showing presenter view on LCD screen anbd slide show on video
   projector. Once I am done and change the configuration back to one
   display, X works again like normal.

Any suggestions? Or is this going to need some heavy duty programming to
fix?

Regards -- Eliot Moss
J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor     http://www.cs.umass.edu/~moss    www
Director, Arch. and Lang. Impl. Lab.      +1-413-545-4206                voice
Department of Computer Science            +1-413-695-4226                 cell
140 Governor's Drive, Room 372            +1-413-545-1249                  fax
University of Massachusetts at Amherst    moss@cs.umass.edu              email
Amherst, MA  01003-9264  USA              +1-413-545-3733 Priscilla Coe  sec'y