Re: sh.exe hangs, but I can kind of get things working if I don'tdisable McAffee

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Linda Yee wrote:

> This time, though, killing sh  kills its parent XWin.  Exiting from cygwin
> is
> not a problem.
> Why does XWin.exe spawn sh.exe?  What is it doing?

It spawns a program to create a proper keyboard layout. If you're using the
us layout, you can disable the whole XKB extension and the compiler by
adding -kb to the commandline.

>   How is it interacting
> with
> the firewall?
> Well, I guess I'm hoping mostly that someone can fix things.

We have no idea how the firewall is breaking the things. Those firewalls and
virus scanner programs hook into the system at a very low level. If they
change the behaviour of windows  even a small bit, the complex unix emulation
in cygwin may be disturbed and unexpected results like those hangs can occur.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de