Re: Display problems with second/subsequent xterm instances

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> I've been using cygwin for some months. I have a problem with second
> and subsequent xterms, which display rather than act on terminal
> control codes setting colour information. This appears to have broken
> with a cygwin X upgrade, but I can't be certain.
>
> The first xterm created with startx from console is black window,
> yellow text, green user name, matching the cygwin console, works as
> you would expect.
>
> Subsequent xterms launched from the first xterm (I can't launch xterms
> from the console window even after setting DISPLAY correctly and
> telling xhost localhost has permission -- odd) display the
> character codes instead:
>
> \[\033]0;\w\007
> \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> $ echo $DISPLAY
> :0.0
> \[\033]0;\w\007
> \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
>
> They're definitely xterms - ctrl right-click gets me the VT Fonts menu
> (other clicks are intercepted by too-smart-by-half windows links.)
>
> I've not set up any special profiles or startup scripts in cygwin.
> Any ideas?

Is your login shell set correctly in /etc/passwd?  Looks like the
subsequent xterms run /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT