This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin XFree86 project.
cygnome 1.4 question about initial installation
- From: "Bharat Sinha" <bharat_s at berkeley dot edu>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: <cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:23:38 -0800
- Subject: cygnome 1.4 question about initial installation
- Reply-to: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
I wanted to install cygnome (1.4), and did it directly though cygwin setup.
I have no experience in this, so all I did was get the packages and
installed them directly though setup.
Now to run it, I call startgnome. It opens a XWindow, then I see a beautiful
picture and it starts to load different desktop components like sawfish etc.
Finally it gives the hints window. But after I exit it, I get nothing more
and an hourglass sign shows up (and persists forever). I don't get the gnome
desktop or anything more.
I am not sure if I am supposed to install any of Steven's patches. Can
anyone guide me as to what to do.
I don't want to mess around too much because I was able to get kde to work,
however it is awfully slow and eats up too many resources, I was hoping
gnome would be smoother.