Re: X/Cygwin icon proposal

Howdy Nahor,

For someone who's entire contribution to XWin has been
an alpha-blended X icon you've got some loud opinions...

> Subject: Re: X/Cygwin icon proposal
> From: Nahor <nahor@bravobrava.com>
> Earle F. Philhower, III wrote:
> > Default to a safe icon format
> "Beep, sorry, you're computer was taken over by the icon then crashed,
> please reboot" :)
> But anyway, the alpha *is* "safe" for other OS (well maybe not for NT,
> but I haven't heard back from haro about icon_test9 which seems to work
> fine for Alexander). It may not be to your taste but it is recognizable
> as the X logo.

Looking really nasty under OSs earlier than XP is a bug I'd say.  Plus
it's probably rechnically an invalid icon resource under those OSes so
you may wnd up causing a boom (hey, under 95 or 98 it doesn't take
much to crash the system!)

> > Or, fix the code to detect the OS.  If OS>=Win5.0 use alpha icon,
> > OTW use standard icon.  That can be done at runtime w/a few lines
> > of C.
> Which one? The monochrome one? Or the one with the white background?
> Maybe the old one with the white specks? And how do you do the "runtime"
> thingy when XWin isn't running and Windows displays the icon in Explorer?

You've not very familiar with how a shortcut is made, are you?  Make the
1st icon in the file the clean X-in-a-white-box that's been there for some
time.  Windoze shortcuts then will use it by default.

Then, since you're so unhappy with the icon, submit a patch to the
x-create-shortcut-icons package that checks the OS version
and if it's XP or greater says create-shortcut w/icon 102, and voila...

> Maybe Halrold should only distribute the source code, and let people
> recompile xwin.exe by themselves that way they can choose their own
> prefered icon for the binary.

It's already there in CVS and his test releases, have a ball!
--
-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com