Re: Clipboard and XDCMP

Staf Verhaegen wrote:

ryan@htsoft.com wrote:

Staf,

Can you copy and paste into the gdm login prompt? If so check the killinitclients line in the gdm config file. I have similar issues, and turning off killinitclients is not an option, but I havn't had the time to look into it, so I shan't complain.

Ryan.

I can copy and paste in the login prompt so probably the killinitclients option is the fault. Maybe an entry for the FAQ ?
Maybe I propose a change for the X server then ? Can't the clipboard handler be restarted once when it is deleted ? This will let the clipboard function also for gdm with killinitclients on.

Of course it could be restarted... but I do not recall if the code is clean enough to be able to stop in the middle of a clipboard request, clean up properly, and reinitialize properly. I would have to do some work just to make sure that that is possible.

Another thing that I had worked on was making the clipboard client not show up from the functions that return all windows attached to the system. I didn't like that approach because I had to duplicate nearly 90% of the code from the underlying function, rather than just changing its behavior slightly with a before or after modification.

I dunno... it works pretty well for me for the moment and I think we have some higher priority problems like crashes.