Re: Garbled task-bar icon

At 12:31 PM 3/15/2004 +0900, Haro wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following your instructions correctly, but
changing resolutions does not seem to change the situation.
I've also placed both .ico file into same directory, browsed them
using Widows exlore, and x_test6.ico gets garbled but x_test8.ico
shows nothing. It's same even when browsed with small icon.
FYI, I've attached the screen-shot.

I've only been partially following this thread but as a point of reference I found that drawing of icons was something that device drivers accelerated under Win95/98/ME, but sometimes they didn't quite accelerate it properly and introduced artifacts when confronted with anything other than a 16-color 32x32 icon (IIRC ATI drivers were really bad about this!). FWIW I've never seen this kind of driver problem under Win NT/2K/XP...

As just a silly test, if you're running Windows95/98/ME, can you turn
off all HW acceleration (there's an option in the System/"My Computer"
control panel, Advanced tab IIRC, or in the Display properties control
Advanced tab/button for this) and restart the computer and try to start
XWin again and see if the icon is still bad?  If it works unaccelerated,
then there's a driver issue.  If it doesn't work unaccelerated, then
it's something else completely...(Don't forget to turn back on
acceleration after the test!)

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel