Re: x-start-menu-icons doesn't install on a W2K german OS

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> [Let's try this again, this time without passing on the false-positive
> from SpamAssassin]
>
> Volker,
>
> Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > see subject. Following is a dir listing (inclusive control-chars) from
> > my "Documents and Settings" directory on a german W2K system.
>
> Had you ever installed the XFree86-bin-icons package?  Did it work, or
> did it have the same problem?
>
> > This looks like a code page problem (the ? is an u in the Windows
> > codepage)
>
> Check the output of:
>
> cygpath -A -P
>
> That is how we get the path to that folder.  Other than that, I had no
> ideas why bash would munge this... but my knowledge on this topic is not
> great.  Anyone have some ideas?
>
> Harold

This is probably an ASCII vs Unicode issue.  Most of Cygwin calls the
ASCII versions of the Windows API.  I'm not sure Cygwin is even
Unicode-aware.  Windows uses Unicode internally to encode the filenames.

Theoretically, Windows should do the right translation under the covers.
It may be as simple as setting the correct codepage or locale before
trying to create the path...  Not running the localized version of
Windows, I can't really investigate this.  Volker, do you feel up to it?
A simple 'ls -d "`cygpath -A -P`"' should expose the bug, and setting the
right locale before this call may make it go away, in which case please
report to the list what made it work... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu