From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]
On Behalf Of Harold L Hunt II
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 8:03 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Remote open X application

Welson,

Welson Sun wrote:
> OK, I know what's wrong now. The step should be:
> 1. Start Cygwin X
> 2. xhost + Remote Server

No.  xhost is not needed, nor desired, when using ssh.

> 3. ssh -X Remote Server
>
> This works for me now. At least the "refused by server" is resolved.
>
> But not all Linux machines................
>
> I can start X applications on some Linux machine in this way, but on
> some others, it still complains about:
> Error: Cann't open display: localhost:0.0

It is more likely that some of your Linux machines don't have ssh setup to
allow X11 tunnelling.

Follow the instructions on the following page for ssh, very carefully:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

You should not have any trouble if you do it this way... unless your Linux
machines need to have their sshd configuration changed, which you can find
documentation about elsewhere.