Re: XWinrc and window placement

Jeff,

Jeffrey J. Gray wrote:
Hi,

Just upgraded my cygwin build for the first time in about a year and I'm loving all the new stuff! A couple questions:

1-What can go in XWinrc? I see a news posting on the cygwin/xfree86 web page that you can put custom commands in the tray icon, but the link to the sample XWinrc file is broken. Could someone post such a file?

I believe you are referring to the example.XWinrc link on the project home page (http://xfree86.cygwin.com). If so, the broken link has been fixed. The sample .XWinrc file has all of the documenation in it that I know of (Earle F. Philhower III wrote it). There has not yet been a section written in the User's Guide for this feature.

2-new xterms always appear in the upper left corner of my screen, all on top of each other. Are there any provisions for 'smart placement' of windows? How would I turn this on? Preferences in XWinrc perhaps??

No smart placement, but you can change the placement of the windows using the geometry flags (generic to almost all X apps, please seek other documentation for this).

Also, this implies that you are using startx (I think), when you should most likely be using startxwin.bat instead. Give it a try, see if you like it. I will eventually update the startx scripts, but I don't understand them as well as the batch file, so startx will always be a little out of date.

Thanks for the help, and kudos to all the devs out there.

No problem, glad you like it.