Re: Can Not Install Font Packages

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Igor,
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> [snip]
> > FWIW, my quick-and-dirty idea was basically to have each
> > font package postinstall script create a uniquely named file in a known
> > location, and each preremove script remove its corresponding file and then
> > check whether any other files exist, and if not, umount.
>
> Hmm... I suspected that your quick-and-dirty idea was to troll
> /etc/preremove and make sure that we are the only XFree86 fonts script
> that has a .sh extension instead of an .sh.done extension.  Is that a
> little too quick-and-dirty, or is there some reason to have a defined
> location for these magic files?

Well, I was thinking of /etc/postinstall or /etc/preremove as the location
for these files anyway...  Frankly, I didn't think of checking the scripts
themselves - this might work just as well, and eliminates the need for
extra files.  The only thing is that this constrains the package names for
X fonts, so if a new one is added, its package name will either have to
follow the same pattern or be added to the lists in all the other
packages, whereas with the separate files, we control the names...

> > I think for setup to detect when a mount is stale would be a good idea
> > anyway.  Currently, AFAIK, setup doesn't have a notion of "failing to
> > install a package" with subsequent reinstall, but if it ever does, this
> > would be the right way to handle the situation.
>
> Cool, although IANACSD (I am not a Cygiwn setup developer), so that is
> about as far as I am going to go with the idea :)
>
> Harold

I am, and I'll look into this at some point (certainly the detection
part).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/