Re: xwinclip-Test07 does not work with XWin -query

Your advice consists of ``it would be better if someone had some time to polish some rough edges in xwinclip.'' Are you suggesting that you have some time to polish those rough edges? As you said yourself, none of it is hard to do.

Harold

Joo-won Jung wrote:

Sanori,

Let me tell you, I wrote xwinclip and I still don't fully understand how to
make it work well when using -query.

I can tell you that running xhost on your Windows machine won't help
anything. What you need to do is run xhost in a terminal that is running
within your -query session. That should setup XWin.exe on your machine to
accept connections from local clients. The reason you can run xhost on your
Windows machine is that not even xhost has permission to connect to XWin.exe
at that point, so xhost cannot modify the access control list.

I know that only the clients on XDM host have control on control
list of the X server when I run X with '-query' option, and I did so.

I hope that helps, let us know if it does.

Harold

Now I found the problem. xwinclip.exe does not process '-display' option.
I found this after seeing the source code of xwinclip.
I think it would be better if xwinclip process '-display' option as
other X clients do, or give error message if the option is not
recognized.
(Someone may say that it's the bash's fault since bash does not set
DISPLAY environment variable.)

I tried 'export DISPLAY=:0' and 'xwinclip' instead of doing
'xwinclip -display :0', then it works. Of course, I did
'xhost win_host_name' on the terminal before doing this.
One more feature request: It would be better if the option for silent
or designate the log file.

Anyway, thank you for xwinclip. It helps me a lot.

I hope my tip help others.

-Sanori