Re: Newbie question -

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:45 am, Jean-Claude Gervais wrote:

> What I do these days is start XWin -rootless -query host
> I have the host set up so that I log in using gnome, and I have set the
> remote Gnome to NOT set a background. That way, all I have is the Gnome
> taskbar, which I dock on the top of my monitor while the Windows taskbar is
> docked at the bottom of the monitor.
>
> That way, it really is quite like being logged onto both computers
> simultaneously.
>
> The only thing is, I haven't figured out how to run local X applications at
> the same time. I'd like WindowMaker's desktop launcher come up on the
> display also. I could probably run a bash shell as a Windows console mode
> app and from it start some X applications, but this seems inelegant.

Based on the above, I'm not sure that Xnest will do what you want after all.

Instead, I've had success using your original:
$ start XWin -rootless -query host

Then in your XDMCP session, run
$ xhost +localhost
to allow local X apps to connect to the server.  (I'm sure you could get fancy
and do some proper Xauthority stuff here.)

I then created a script called 'startxapp.bat':
Essentially just the first part of 'startxwin.bat' which sets up the path, and
then:
run %1

Create a shortcut to this, passing the name of the local X app you wish to run
as a paramater.

It all works very nicely.

Rasjid.