depth in pixmap

Hi,

do I gather correctly from the FAQ that it is impossible to open an depth 8
window and display and 8 depth ZPixmap on a 24 bit depth screen?

It seems that the depth settings are largerly ignored (aside from size
issues). That is, I don't seem to get an error message at all when I ask for
8bit depth, but then it does not seem to work properly.

Is this a general restrictiion of X servers, or only of XFree on Windows?

Oh, while I'm taking some bandwith here. Can anybody point me to some online
documentation on how to put up a bitmap in 24bit mode? (I'm constructing my
bitmap myself, and do that in 8bit mode with ZPixmap that essentially
indexes in a colormap, but I get the impression that my ZPixmap has to be
24bit per pixel now. What format is it in? Is the colormap ignored?)

Thanks for any help!

Kris Thielemans