This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin XFree86 project.
Adding a german keyboard to a default installation ...
- From: Cygwin/X User
- To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:35:22 +0100
- Subject: Adding a german keyboard to a default installation ...
- Reply-to: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
I recently downloaded the Cygwin default packages and additionally the
complete X11 package, because I have to access several Unix machines via
VPN + X-Server from a laptop.
I had no problems with the installation and with some try&error I was
successful getting the CDE of our AIX on my local screen typing: "xwin
-query ... -from ..."
(The -from parameter was a must, I suppose because of the VPN access.)
Unfortunately I'm not able to install a german keyboard layout even though
I tried to apply the tips in this forum. (I hope I did my inquiries with
That's what I've already tried (without success):
(1) Appending "xmodmap -display ... /etc/X11/xmodmap.de"
to xinitrc (with and without -display VPN-IP or 127.0.0.1 and different
(2) Creating a .xsession file in my home directory with
(the latter folder does not exit on my installation ...)
if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
(3) Trying all combinations of naming the modmap file, i.e.
.Xmodmap, xmodmap.de in the different locations
Calling the program xmodmap with a map file results in the error message
"unable to open display ''". This does not not change when I explicitly
enter the IP of my VPN access or 127.0.0.1 ...
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IN SIMPLE WORDS WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO ADD A GERMAN
KEYBOARD STARTING FROM A SIMPLE DEFAULT INSTALLATION FROM
http://cygwin.com/ (+ X11 PACKAGES)?