Re: Randall, please don't post here

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:47:43PM -0500, Keith D. Tyler wrote:
>I'm not sure that this list has collectively determined whether this is a
>Cygwin/XFree *discussion* list, or a Cygwin/XFree *development* list.

 From http://cygwin.com/lists.html

# cygwin-xfree: a list for discussion of all things related to XFree86
on Cygwin (Cygwin/XFree86).  If you have questions about how to use,
configure, install, build, or develop with Cygwin/XFree86, this is the
list for you.  If you have general questions about using Cygwin/XFree86,
please see the Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide or the Cygwin/XFree86 FAQ.

>Please, for those of us who either a) aren't programmatically inclined,
>or b) don't have the luxury of vast expanses of time to get up to speed
>on the required languages and source materials, someone figure out.
>Maybe two lists are needed.

I'm not sure what you are pleading for but I don't see why asking people
to contribute is a terrible thing on any list.  And, pointing out that
it is ludicrous to ask hundreds of people (i.e., the people on this
mailing list) to check on something like "Is it in the man page yet"
when one could easily check this on their on system is not something
that even a (shudder) "newbie" should have problems with.

Of course we all make mistakes and sometimes send email without thinking
but falling back on the old, tired "We're not all programmers!" or "We
don't have time!" defenses is really missing the point here, IMO.  If
you have time to write email, you have time to check a man page.

cgf