RE: XDMCP and Redhat 7.2

Matt,

Perhaps some process already owns port 6000 on your Windows machine before
you launch XWin.  Adding :1 changes the screen number to 1 (from 0) which
changes the port number to, I believe, 6001.

You can find out what ports are open by running 'netstat -a' in a 'cmd' box
on Windows XP (if that has the command prompt).

One thing that could cause port 6000 to be taken would be if you have a
commercial X Server installed.  On April 12 I asked if you had any
commercial X Servers installed:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-04/msg00273.html

You never answered.  So, do you have any commercial X Servers installed?

It makes perfect sense that port 6000 is already owned, since you can run
remote clients via ssh forwarding (which doesn't use port 6000), but you
can't run remote clients via telnet (which does use port 6000).

Let me know what you find,

Harold