Re: xfree packages

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:47:31AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>"Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> writes:
>
>> Setup is case insensitive to package names. I don't see any technical
>> issue either way.
>
>Me neither, I only see a social issue: it's just plain irritating for
>people?
>
>   tar xjf releases/mysTABTAB <beep> ^U
>   tar xjf releases/MyTABTAB <beep> ^U
>
>etc, aargh?  It's ever more annoying when you're using wget, and try
>to guess the name.

I thought I'd replied to this but I guess I hadn't.

I really don't think we should use tab completion as a justification for
picking package names.  The package names should reflect what the
authors want to call the package.  If the name of the package is XFree86,
it should be called XFree86.  Ditto, TeX, or any other package.

AFAICT, both Red Hat and Debian allow upper/lower case, so there's no
reason for us to restrict things.

cgf