Re: Status of "seamless" integration?

Ian Burrell wrote:

> Alan Hourihane wrote:
> >
> > A lot of work. I've done most of the re-writing of the span
> > functions into their native GDI counterparts. That's a good start.
> >

> Where can I find the native GDI changes? Are they checked in? My
> impression is that mode isn't included into the server by default. What
> is needed to get it to compile.
>
> > We need to implement the rest of the server into native GDI calls,
> > then we can start looking at 'rootless' modes. It's by no means
> > a small task to do the conversion to native GDI first though.
> >

> I wonder why native GDI is required for rootless modes. There would need
> to be support for creating Win32 windows for each X window. Plus,
> drawing (or blitting) into those Win32 windows instead of one single
> window or full screen. An internal window manager would also be needed.

Aye, there's the rub. When the X application pops up a menu, it must
grab the keyboard and the *whole* screen. In other words, a "system
modal" window is required, which means one can't use an internal WM but
must use MS-Windows as WM - while still being responsive to ICCM.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles