Newbie key mapping question

I am sure that this is covered in the mail archive but I can't seem to find
it, so aplogies for a dumb question. I have installed cygwin and xfree on a
system with a UK keyboard. Cygwin console sessions seem to have the correct
keyboard mappings so that's cool. However if I use XWin.exe to perform a
remote session to a Linux machine on the network, it appears as though the
Linux machine thinks I have a US keyboard. I guess I need to configure xfree
but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Regards and thanks in advance

Quentin