Re: cygwin-xfree: xdmcp: "no valid address"

Hello,

>> > Only the lo0 is returned and this is not a bug in 'ls_netdev.c' -
>> > the ioctl call returns that single interface (ifc.ifc_len ==
>> > sizeof (struct ifreq)) only.
>> >
>> > This might be a bug in Cygwin, since that framework is not present
>> > at all in the Win32-API (I doubt anything like that is present in
>> > Winsock 1, but Winsock 2 has a GET_INTERFACE_INFO call to WSAIoctl
>> > which returns an INTERFACE_INFO) and has to be emulated
>> > completely.
>
>This makes the *correct* functioning that some people experience all
>the more puzzling.

Well, this can be caused by many things:

. the Cygwin-emulation code for this particular ioctl-call works on Windows NT only
. your/my version of Cygwin was compiled on a machine with different libs/includes and/or versions of some libraries (on NT/2000 perhaps?)
. in some installations, Windows might report eth0 before lo0 (if you install your ethernet card before/after some thing else)

All this is just speculation - I don't know anything about the inner workings of Cygwin and I don't even have the source.

>If the problem is in Cygwin and it doesn't a *framework* for these
>queries how do some configuration work?

See above, I just speculated.

 - Tim

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp