xfree install probs. win98

I have followed the installation procedure in the user guide, and
have the following errors on trying to start X using the Icon (i.e.
not using cygwin windows to start it):

Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Too many parameters
startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows 95/98/Me
Cannot find file 'XWin' (or one of its components). Check to
ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
libraries are available.
Cannot find file 'xterm' (or one of its components). Check to
ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
libraries are available.
Cannot find file 'twm' (or one of its components). Check to
ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
libraries are available.

X doesn't start up after this.

Having a Unix background, I am a bit at sea with quite where to
look to fix this stuff.

Environment space:  I have hardly anything in my autoexec.bat (compared
to what we used to have on DOS systems circa 1990.  Are there variables
I must set in there to fix this?

Too many parameters:  This is presumably the startx program complaining.
There were refs in the guide to the need to set these up, but there was
AFAICS no actual guidance on what they should be, so I left them alone
rather than meddle with them.

These xwin, xterm, and twm are things that I think must be installed
with X.  If there are files missing I don't know which they are. How
do I find and fix this?  Or can I make this cough up better diagnostics?

I have RTFAQ and had a very quick look at the archives....

Is there more information I should provide -- I got the Cygwin/Xfree86
yesterday, from following:
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/docs/ug/cygwin-xfree-ug.html
and thus from:
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries/4.1.0/

I have a windows 98 system.
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_98-4.10 BUZZ 1.3.2(0.39/3/2) 2001-05-20 23:28 i586 unknown

	Thank you,
	Hugh